no gnopernicus on ubuntu cd

Sarangan Thuraisingham sarangan.thuraisingham at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 11:47:04 UTC 2005

MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
> Last night I got some people from my local LUG to try and install
> Gnopernicus on my laptop for me.
> However the ordered version of Hoary ddoesn't seem to include
> Gnopernicus on the CD which was a problem because I didn't have an
> internet connection at the time as my laptop didn't come with a wireless
> card.
> Is the reason for it not being on the CD something to do with the type
> of package group it falls into?
> Also does Speakup work with Ubuntu?
> I would use Emacspeak for access to the command line stuff under Linux
> but it is a pain to learn Emacs as I haven't managed to get my head
> around stuff like accessing the web.
> I am wondering if the problem is that I not only have to learn Emacs but
> also have to fully know the keystrokes for Emacspeak as well as I only
> got as far as getting "end of buffer" when trying to navigate in web pages.
> Also I am thinking of investing in hardware for a wireless internet
> connection as I should be able to get access where my local LUG meets
> and maybe switch between this place and home. What wireless cards would
> anyone suggest?
> Someone who got their laptop connected yesterday suggested a Dlink card
> and router.

TWO SOLUTIONS:
--------------
(1) I got a Belkin F5D6020 ver 2.0 and it works out of the box with both
Hoary and Breezy(I think!). It has a atmel chipset and uses atmel_cs
package. So may be you can google for other wireless cards that use the
atmel chipset. For that matter, googling can find you other supported
wireless cards.

(2) My friend couldn't get his Wireless card to work with ndiswrapper.
The card worked sometimes but it randomly froze the system. He had a
Windows XP with wireless connection to our ADSL router. So we turned on
internet connection sharing on the windows box. The options that we
chose were,
   a. "This computer connects to the internet directly and other
computers connect through this computer"
   b. Internet connection -> wireless connection
   c. Connection to local network -> "ethernet adapter".
After applying changes, windows box's ethernet link's IP is set to
192.168.0.1(as the gateway). Then we connected the linux laptop to the
windows box using the ethernet interface. And brought up the ethernet
connection in the linux laptop "ifup eth0". This might work for you as well.

In theory everything should work, but it didn't for us :(. The linux
laptop could access the local network, but not the internet. Luckily, we
have an old Pentium II setup as a webcache. So we setup this as the
proxy in the laptop's network settings and now the internet
works(atleast he can access website, dont know if apt works....). We
don't know why this is the case. If anyone has any ideas, pls share it.
--
Regards,

    Tux is the Best
   Next is the Rest