Another Unofficial UbuntuGuide?

albi albi at scii.nl
Sat Nov 5 19:50:44 UTC 2005

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 14:21:49 -0500
Kim Briggs <patiodragon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/5/05, crypticreign <crypticreign at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> > Corey Burger wrote:
> > > Please don't resurrect the Ubuntuguide. Help.ubuntu.com should
                  ^^^^^^^^^^
as a sidenote, i wondered whether it's possible to make the english a
little more "accessible" to non-native english speakers ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection does give me an idea what
you were trying to say, but still

> > What's wrong with Ubuntuguide.org?  I think that it has been an
> > excellent resource, atleast for myself.
>
> I thought that originally, too, I even gave the guy a little money,
> because I wouldn't have been able to get multimedia working on my own.
>  Then I read a post by the people that actually work with the
> developers to create documentation.  It said the auther of
> ubuntuguide.org did not make corrections that they informed him about

when http://www.ubuntuguide.org was just up i've emailed the maintainer
about a mistake and he emailed back and changed it very soon

> and his instructions could actually mess up your system.

with the backports ? possibly yes, but i'd say the
backports-maintainers are to blame for that

> So, now that there is a community-developed help guide, I will
> definitely stick with that, because they cooperate, play nice, etc.
> THAT is the biggest benefit of open source IMHO.

well, i've looked at http://help.ubuntu.com and realise that what i
like about ubuntuguide.org is the fancy layout (e.g. the black
terminal-part) combined with the not-having-to-open-up-another-webpage

nevertheless, good luck to the ubuntu-documentation project!

--
grtjs, albi
gpg-key: lynx -dump http://scii.nl/~albi/gpg.asc | gpg --import