Xorg Mem issues....

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV rick at rickandpatty.com
Fri Nov 4 14:57:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 14:36 +0800, Ryan Escarez wrote:
> On 11/4/05, Charles Malespin <charles.malespin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >   I have been running breezy now since released and I have been
> > noticing slower performance on my desktop than with hoary.  Mainly after
> > I leave my computer on for a few days, Xorg starts eating alot of
> > memory. I understand the caching and that its good for breezy to use
> > memory, but it seems that for normal use things are really slow.  Xorg
> > eats like 35-40% memory.  Switching between workstations is MUCH slower
> > than with hoary, and this is even after I reboot and there is nothing
> > really running except Evolution and firefox.  Any ideas why, or tweaks I
> > could make?
> > I have:
> > P4 3 Ghz,  1 Gb ram, 2 Gb swap, ATI X300 video card  (anything else I
> > can provide to help?)

> how about using lightweight window manager?

On a machine with 1 *GB* RAM?  That's nuts.  There's probably a memory
leak somewhere.  I recently put Breezy on my wife's laptop (with an
older Radeon).  Since she basically never shuts the machine down
(hibernates only), I'll see if she notices the same kind of problems.
Her machine's only got 640M, so she should notice is pretty quickly. :)

One tip - Mozilla is noticeably faster than Firefox for web browsing on
her machine.  Not really sure why, except that the same Firefox slowness
relative to Mozilla also occurs in Fedora (which is what's on my
laptop).

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick at rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com