nVidia with stock kernel crashes when leaving X

Chris ubuntu at functionalfuture.com
Thu Nov 3 19:29:31 UTC 2005

I'm curious to know if anyone else has seen this or knows of a fix.  The
nVidia forums were absolutely no help.

My system is an Opteron running an nVidia 250 Pro chipset motherboard
and nVidia Geforce 5700 Ultra AGP video card.

When running the stock Ubuntu kernel (Breezy 2.6.12-9) and the nVidia
binary drivers ("nvidia") everything works fine until I try to quit X11.
  If I press CTRL-ALT-Fx, log-out, reboot, or absolutely anything that
tries to leave X then the machine just dies.  I get a black screen and I
can hear the video card actually power off (the fan stops running).  The
system is then completely dead.  This happens in both Breezy 386 and
AMD64 versions and it doesn't matter if I use the Ubuntu nVidia driver
from restricted modules or compile my own.

This _only_ happens with the stock Ubuntu kernel.  If I build my own
kernel the problem goes completely away.  The problem is that I want to
run the stock kernel because I have not been able to build my own kernel
that has working USB in VMware (for some reason only the stock kernel
works with USB and VMware).

Thanks for any help.

--
// Chris