Sudo not working?

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 15:20:30 UTC 2005

On 11/2/05, GDB-B&W-X. 3. 9 <dougburton at vevayindiana.net> wrote:

> After many attempts to change my gdm.conf file to allow root logins and
> auto login myself at startup, it has left me wondering why sudo did not
> work. Each and everything I would attempt to use the command on would
> fail.

Surely you must have seen an error message. Are you doing this via Alt-F2 or
are you opening a terminal (Applications -> System Tools -> Konsole)? I
agree it is annoying that Alt-F2 won't let you see any error messages.

Mostly errors with using sudo involve trying to use the root password
instead of your own.

But there are other kinds of errors, too. For instance, I just changed my
host name to a value that wasn't in my /etc/hosts file. It wouldn't let me
use sudo again, because it couldn't look up my host name. Weird.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own