Sudo not working?

GDB-B&W-X.3.9 dougburton at vevayindiana.net
Thu Nov 3 23:03:20 UTC 2005

On Nov 3, 2005, at 10:20 AM, John DeCarlo wrote:

> On 11/2/05, GDB-B&W-X. 3. 9 <dougburton at vevayindiana.net> wrote:
>>
>> auto login myself at startup, it has left me wondering why sudo did
>> not
>> work.  Each and everything I would attempt to use the command on would
>>  fail.
> Surely you must have seen an error message.  Are you doing this via
> Alt-F2 or are you opening a terminal (Applications -> System Tools ->
> Konsole)?  I agree it is annoying that Alt-F2 won't let you see any
> error messages.
>
> Mostly errors with using sudo involve trying to use the root password
> instead of your own.
>
> But there are other kinds of errors, too.  For instance, I just
> changed my host name to a value that wasn't in my /etc/hosts file.  It
> wouldn't let me use sudo again, because it couldn't look up my host
> name.  Weird.
>

> --
> John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own--

Okay I did a little more snooping today and checked the auth.log to see
if there were any clues there.  Here is a sample of what I found.

Nov  2 19:47:55 localhost gdm[7495]: (pam_unix) session opened for user
doug by (uid=0)
Nov  2 19:50:45 localhost sudo: (pam_unix) authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=  user=doug
Nov  2 19:51:41 localhost sudo:     doug : command not allowed ;
TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/doug ; USER=root ; COMMAND=validate
Nov  2 19:52:21 localhost sudo:     doug : command not allowed ;
TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/doug ; USER=root ; COMMAND=validate
Nov  2 19:53:11 localhost gdm[8289]: (pam_unix) authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=:20 ruser= rhost=  user=root
Nov  2 19:53:57 localhost gdm[8289]: (pam_unix) session opened for user
doug by (uid=0)
Nov  2 19:54:13 localhost sudo:     doug : command not allowed ;
TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/doug ; USER=root ; COMMAND=validate

I'm not well enough versed in deciphering error codes to know exactly
what is happening here, but I can see there was a auth failure, perhaps
something to do with the user id?  FYI I was logged in as myself (doug)
and tried both through the gui as well as a terminal.  I now have the
problem solved using the method I outlined, but I would like to know
why sudo didn't work as it should have for future reference.  Thanks

Just a message from Doug...