gnome logout and hibernate problem

Mike miked_63 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 01:06:15 UTC 2005

Hi!

I'm having a problem that I haven't seen discussed
here before, so I thought I'd toss it out.  I
installed Hoary on my laptop in April and just
upgraded to Breezy (dist-upgrade rather than
reinstall).  I was able to hibernate Hoary from the
System/Log Out drop down menu item in gnome at will; I
did have to modify the /etc/acpi/resume.sh file to
call 855resolution in order to get my screen working
properly.

After the dist-upgrade (and removing the splash option
from /boot/grub/menu.lst), I am now able to hibernate
from gnome's log out once after booting; after that,
the hibernate option does nothing.  Interestingly
enough, if I run the /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh script
from the terminal, hibernate _does_ work, so the
problem seems to be in gnome.

Does anyone have an idea as to what's wrong?  I don't
mind running the script manually, but I'd prefer to
use the gui.  Any advice is really appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike