emacs cut and paste

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 22:38:30 UTC 2005

On 31/10/05, Eamonn Sullivan <eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/10/05, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
> > cut and paste between Emacs and gnome-terminal doesn't seem to work
> > under breezy.  Am I just lucky or have I forgotten to do something?
> >
> > ---eric
>
> It works fine for me. The following was copied from emacs. I marked,
> Alt-W, and then moved to Firefox and hit CTRL-V:
>
> This is a test of the emergency broadcast system. This is only a
> test.
>
> Am I missing your point?

Sorry to reply to myself, but I was just kicking around in my .emacs
file (trying to add refill-mode for text files) and found the
following two lines of lisp that must have followed me around from
distro to distro for a *long* time. I'm betting these are why cut and
paste works fine for me in Breezy.

(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
(setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value)

Downside? Marking and yanking doesn't work in text mode, such as in an
ssh session. I'm sure if I knew lisp better I could work around that
problem.

-Eamonn