Kernel Images

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue May 31 21:03:28 UTC 2005

I asked:

Tom Adelstein wrote:
> powernowd
<snip>
> "The name is somewhat misleading, as any CPUfreq capable processor will
> work,  not just those from AMD.  However, it works better on CPUs that
> support more  than two speed steps, like those with AMD's PowerNow! or
> Intel's Pentium M  series."

Hmm. Are you saying that the i686 kernel *expects* a CPUFreq processor?
I don't think this answers my question.

> You should find a significant amount of the information for which you're
> looking at
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2213

I think you're answering a different question to the one I asked. That
shows relative speed between different sorts of processors, and the
effect of -O compile flags.

I assert that the i686 kernel should work perfectly well on Athlon
computers. You just might not get the performance you'd get with an
Athlon build (and that's questionable).

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-January/msg01639.html

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Beneath this stone lies Murphy,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | They buried him today,