Kernel Images

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 17:16:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 17:47 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Tom Adelstein wrote:
> > The information in the Ubuntu repository tells you which kernel image to
> > use. Some features of the Pentium class i686 architecture do not work
> > with AMD. So, if you have an Athlon, Sempron, Athlon XP, etc. and you
> > get i686 then use the k7 kernel.
>
> Really? That surprises me: I was under the impression that the Athlon
> family were entirely compatible with the i686 (Pentium Pro and later)
> [1]. /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/Kconfig and friends seem to be of the same
> opinion.
>
> Would you care to list what the i686 kernel expects that the Athlons
> don't provide? (I know the K6 and earlier aren't i686).
>
> Thanks,
>
> James.
>
> [1] Of course, the original Pentium and Pentium MMX are NOT i686 class:
> they're i586. Intel seem to be inherently incapable of keeping a naming
> or numbering scheme straight for more than about five years...

powernowd

This is from the dialog in Boot-Up manager:

"a simple client controls CPU speed and voltage using the sysfs
interface to the CPUFreq driver in v2.6 Linux kernels.  It does not
depend on APM or CPI, and it doesn't try to do anything other than
control the CPU.

"The name is somewhat misleading, as any CPUfreq capable processor will
work,  not just those from AMD.  However, it works better on CPUs that
support more  than two speed steps, like those with AMD's PowerNow! or
Intel's Pentium M  series."

I'd like to tease the issues out in detail, but I have a deadline at the
moment.

You should find a significant amount of the information for which you're
looking at

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2213

I can pick this up later and would like to do that.