Printing problems in 5.04?

Christian Convey christian.convey at gmail.com
Tue May 31 19:06:52 UTC 2005

Hi guys,

I've had Kubuntu 5.04 installed on my computer, and happily printing for a
while.

About a week ago, printing stopped working. At first, it was just that
applications like AcroRead would print without complaint, but nothing showed
up on the printer. (I've got two HP LaserJets, attached via IP).

Now, AcroRead simply freezes when I ask it to print.

"lpq" freezes when I run it (even as root).

When I bring up the KDE control panel tool for printing, it has a splash
screen that says, "Initializing manager". But that splash screen never goes
way.

I thought that maybe there was some goofiness related to KDE, so I tried to
log back in using Gnome. But now (I don't know if this is related or not) I
can't get into Gnome either. After the login screen disappears, I'm just
stuck looking at a plain brown screen indefinitely if I try to log into
Gnome. Logging into KDE still works just fine.

Does anyone have an idea how I got into this state, or how to get out?

Thanks,
Christian