Question about .deb and Windows

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue May 31 16:54:38 UTC 2005

On 5/31/05, Alex Ferguson <b_linuz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, I have a "problem" and I'd like to ask a
> question.I have 2 computers, one with Windows and
> connected to the net, the other one is my Ubuntu
> Playground, and offline.Sometimes, when I have to
> install packages, I D/L them on my 1st PC, then I burn
> them and I load them in the Ubuntu PC using dpkg.The
> problems start in "dependancy hell".A package I want
> to download (xorg-devel libraries and whatever) has
> over 40 dependant packages, and those have
> I-don't-know-how-many dependant subpackages.
>
> My question is, is there a program for Windows that
> works like apt, meaning, it resolves dependancies
> automatically? That would save me a LOT of time, not
> to mention time spent in the nut-house.

No, but that's a *terribly* convoluted and awkward way of doing
things. Simply network the machines and download directly onto Ubuntu.
The *whole point* of the apt-get command and the Debian packaging
system is that APT does this for you!

Two Ethernet cards - modern machines will probably have this built in,
or you're talking a massive £10 each or so - and a single piece of
cross-over cable and you have a network and you're away. Windows
Internet Connection Sharing will enable the Ubuntu machine to access
the Internet via your Windows box.

--
Liam Proven
Home: http://welcome.to/liamsweb * Blog: http://lproven.livejournal.com