Dual Boot with windows: where to put the boot loader?

hagen van rissenbeck news4didascali at gmx.net
Tue May 31 16:00:05 UTC 2005

Florian Primessnig schrieb:
> erich.iseli at iseli.org schrieb:
>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I've read the wiki and forum entries about this issue. I've been using
>> linux for 4 years and made many installations. Tonight I have an hour
>> or two to install ubuntu on my dad's PC, but he needs a dual boot.
>> Other thing: I don't have partition magic or any other windows
>> partitioning tool. His PC has 4 partitions, the 1st being where
>> Windows is installed, all others are free. His PC has no diskette
>> drive, so creating a boot diskette where to save the boot loader is no
>> option either.
>>
>> Why is everybody telling not to install grub in the MBR when
>> dual-booting?

Hi,

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

 > i'm not
 > grub is cool!

That's also my opinion.

As far as I remember, there existed problems with some distros in the
past - almost one year ago when booting a windows system after a linux
install. Grub did not work then anymore, but wasn't the reason for that
problem, I think. Am I right?

Just take a look at the following link:

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/fhassel_windows_not_booting91.html

I've never had such experiences on my own. And I don't want to discuss
suse, it's only a short link for information.

I did more than thirty dualboot installations: I installed several
linuxes (suse, mandrake debian and ubuntu) with grub on mbr and I have
never had any problem with booting a m$-system

With my first ubuntu installation on my laptop, grub recognized not only
the xp-system partition but also a suse installation and integrated it
into menu.lst!

Hope that helps

Hagen