xine playing dvds

Matt Galvin matt.t.galvin at gmail.com
Mon May 30 19:18:45 UTC 2005

> Hi, I tried to get libdvdcss2 from synaptic and I got the following
> error.
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports/dists/hoary-extras/restricted/binary-i386/libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1~5.04ubp1_i386.deb
>   403 Forbidden
>

> W: Failed to fetch
> http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports/dists/hoary-extras/restricted/binary-i386/libdvdcss2-dev_1.2.8-1~5.04ubp1_i386.deb
>   403 Forbidden
>

> I added the apt repo to my sources list file too.  Any ideas?

You added the backports repositories too, I should have said to not
add those. Remove the backports repositories from your sources.list
b/c the backports generally isn't a good idea IMHO, i don't use them.
Additionaly, backports has bandwith issues at the moment and it seems
the request to their servers is being denied. Once you remove the
backports from your sources.list, apt should try to get libdvdcss2
from marillat (the ones you want).

To make this a clearer, here is my sources.list

--- snip ---
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-updates main restricted

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary universe

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-security main restricted

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-security universe

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat testing main
--- snip ---

use this, then Reload, Search for libdvdcss2, and install em'

Hope this helps,

Matt