xine playing dvds

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 18:53:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 13:30 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 13:10 -0400, Matt Galvin wrote:
> > > Does anyone know what I am talking about and how to fix it?
> >
> > Yes, you needed to install a package called libdvdcss2 which allows
> > the encrypted dvd to be read. First you need to add the apt repository
> > that contains this package to your /etc/apt/sources.list file.
> >
> > Add this line:
> >
> > deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat testing main
> >
> > Check this out for more detail:
> >
> > http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#extrarepositories
> > http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#dvdplayback
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Matt
> >

> Hi, I tried to get libdvdcss2 from synaptic and I got the following
> error.
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports/dists/hoary-extras/restricted/binary-i386/libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1~5.04ubp1_i386.deb
>   403 Forbidden
>

> W: Failed to fetch
> http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports/dists/hoary-extras/restricted/binary-i386/libdvdcss2-dev_1.2.8-1~5.04ubp1_i386.deb
>   403 Forbidden
>

> I added the apt repo to my sources list file too.  Any ideas?

Go to the ftp repository and download it (as long as it is legal in the
country where you reside. Otherwise, you would be in violation of the
law and could face something equivalent to death by a firing squad).

If you can legally download it, the double click on the package in your
browse directory and it should install.

Remember - do not break the law. Seriously. Be paranoid because they
have people looking for cyber criminals.