Disabling Postfix, Raid services, inetd

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Sun May 29 23:39:44 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 22:00 +0100, Tony Arnold wrote:
> Tom,
>
> On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 12:16 -0500, Tom Adelstein wrote:
> > I understand why Linux has traditionally provided default MTAs over the
> > years. In fact, I used to use localhost as my smtp not too many years
> > ago. With RBL and other blackhole spam lists, localhost doesn't see much
> > light of day when one uses it for Internet mail (undeliverable is the
> > usual result). Aside from local mail, what role does it play on a Linux
> > desktop system?
>
> It can be useful. The main reason I use Postfix on my desktop is that
> the mailrouter at work requires authentication if I use it from off
> campus (my mail looks the same whether I send from home or from work).
> Thus, I've configured Postfix to provide the authentication on my laptop
> and my home machine and configured all my mail clients to use 'sendmail'
> for outgoing mail. That way, if I need to change my authentication
> details, I just change it in one place. There is also less information
> to provide when configuring outgoing mail. I like to try out several
> different mail clients and indeed some have useful features not in
> others, so I find this setup very useful to me.
>
> The other reason I like it is the logging and the instant response I get
> from the mail client. The logging is useful to check that mail has been
> sent and the instant response is because the mail client does not have
> to wait for any remote machine to accept the connection.
>
> For someone who does not do all this stuff, then I can see that Postfix
> may not be necessary, although systems like anacron do use it to send
> results of failed jobs locally.
>
> Regards,
> Tony.

Tony, that's very useful information.

I imagine for people who don't know, you're using postfix but use it as
a drop in replacement for sendmail? So, you're using the postfix to
sendmail compatibility interface? For the sake of compatibility with
applications that look for sendmail by default or whatever?

I'm guessing, but your campus server requires authentication and that's
not a problem because you're not blindly relaying. Correct?

So, our server requires reverse DNS or it won't accept mail. Individuals
without that who simply use localhost as their smtp would have a
problem. To use postfix as you do, people would need what?

(Thanks in advance for the information. :)