Running Real player streams on linux

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Sun May 29 15:11:02 UTC 2005

> I tried using kaffeine for real streams.  This didn't work because
> kaffeine complained about a lib sipr.so.6.0 in /usr/local/lib/codecs.
> Unfortunately, the error message was not helpful at all.

What are you watching at the BBC site?  I use kaffeine regularly to
watch real files and it doesn't struggle.  Do you have all of the
win32 codecs installed?

> So I installed realplayer 10 and, after a lot of fiddling in
> konquerors' configuration finally managed to get it called with real
> streams.  Had to set the auto-timeout for the sound system in the
> system configutation to 1sec.  Otherwise no sound would be heard.  (Of
> course, no error message whatsoever is generated.)
>
> Unfortunately, konqueror + realplay seems to be unstable (about 1
> crash every 2 hours).  So I switched to firefox which I don't like as
> much as konqueror but at least runs stable.
>
> I do think that setting up multimedia apps is the weakest and most
> ugly point in kubuntu.

I agree and disagree.  I think getting real streams to play on Linux
is still a PITA.  When real made their new player with GTK they could
have made sure it would integrate with GNOME and KDE sound systems.
To me, the lack of integration into these 2 desktops is a gross
oversite on the part of Real, NOT GNOME or KDE.  I can use kaffeine
next to rhythmbox without any problem.  I can't use Real next to
anything that even thinks about the sound system.  They wrote poor
software in my opinion.

--andy