Running Real player streams on linux

Matthias Heiler heiler at gmx.de
Sun May 29 15:52:05 UTC 2005

Andy Choens <gunksta at gmail.com> writes:

> > I tried using kaffeine for real streams.  This didn't work because
> > kaffeine complained about a lib sipr.so.6.0 in /usr/local/lib/codecs.
> > Unfortunately, the error message was not helpful at all.
> >
> What are you watching at the BBC site?  I use kaffeine regularly to
> watch real files and it doesn't struggle.  Do you have all of the
> win32 codecs installed?

Hi.  The BBC posting was from a different person.  But if I try it
right now (BBC world service) I get the unhelpful "error in
libsipr.so.6.0" message in kaffeine.  I have the recent win32 codecs
installed and the path is set correctly to /usr/local/lib/codecs where
the lib is found.  I have no idea _what_ the error might be.

> > I do think that setting up multimedia apps is the weakest and most
> > ugly point in kubuntu.
>
> I agree and disagree.  I think getting real streams to play on Linux
> is still a PITA.  When real made their new player with GTK they could
> have made sure it would integrate with GNOME and KDE sound systems.
> To me, the lack of integration into these 2 desktops is a gross
> oversite on the part of Real, NOT GNOME or KDE.

Well, I wasn't blaming anyone.  I just observe myself getting tired to
have to play and search around for hours to accomplish stuff that is a
single click under Win.  (I'm using Linux since kernel 2.2.36.)

> I can use kaffeine next to rhythmbox without any problem.  I can't
> use Real next to anything that even thinks about the sound system.
> They wrote poor software in my opinion.

I discovered kaffeine with ubuntu and I like it a lot. (That is, the
version that comes with 5.04 is unusable (it crashes, leaves zombie
processes when it quits), but there's an update .deb somewhere that
works.)  The error messages should be much more explicit, otherwise
it's excellent software.

Matthias