Starting Services At Boot

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Sat May 28 16:52:45 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 16:17 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > On Redhat and Mandrake systems, you can do ¨service foobar
> > start|restart|stop¨ and ¨chkconfig foobar on|off¨.  What is the
> > equivalant in Ubuntu for starting and stopping services and having
> > them either start or not start at boot?
>

> You can use "sysv-rc-conf" (in Synaptic) for a ncurses interface, or
> there a nice GUI that a Ubuntu lover wrote recently, here the web site :
>
> http://www.marzocca.net/linux/bum.html

Vince - bum is a great tool and I'm grateful for you pointing it out.
This should be a standard part of the Ubuntu system.

I was trying to figure out how to help Ubuntu users speed up the boot
process and show them what processes they could avoid at boot time for
the next part of my Linux Journal article. I nailed  the FC3 section and
looked at Xandros's process manager. Bum makes it easier to demonstrate.

Very nice and thank you!

Tom