Is Linux a desktop operating system?

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri May 27 23:03:55 UTC 2005

Paul M. Bucalo wrote:

> Hmmm...this may help:
>
> http://www.treepad.com/
>
> The free version for Linux is at:
>
> http://www.treepad.com/linux/treepadlite/
>
> I have used this free-form database for some time on Linux and Windows.
> The free version is quite limited, a little slower on Linux than
> Windows, not as complex or robust as askSam, but it does an adequate job
> of keeping bits of information in organized categories. I think as a
> writer's aide, it's pretty good...and it's FREE. :0) If you try it and
> like it, the Pro version might be the better choice for professional
> writing.

it does look interesting.  I will need to look at it more closely and
compare it to some of the other writing tools i'm looking at.

> Another area, to be sure, that needs someone(s) with experience to
> produce a better answer in Linux.

I spoke recently at a conference on Linux and speech recognition.  There
are two or three alternatives that might be good platforms for large
vocabulary continuous speech recognition (i.e. what you need for
dictating text).  The problem is, it's going to be something on the
order of $4-5 million to get close to being a full product.  it would
only cost a couple million dollars if we produced something akin to open
source beta quality if we use something like the sphinx 4 engine.  The
hard part is the interface with applications so that you can perform
certain operations on text buffers and make corrections and replacements.

this kind of funding will not happen with the tipjar.  On the other
hand, what may be tip jar possible is developing a bridge between speech
recognition on Windows to client interface code on Linux.  That simply
needs assistance in the form of programmers whose hands work.  The
architectural model is that you run speech recognition on Windows under
some form of virtual machine (i.e. VMware, or post Vanderpool xen ) but
focus all your dictation results on to the Linux virtual machine.

obviously, it's a little more complex than that but that's the rough
idea.  Like I said, all the need is people with hands that work and a
willingness to listen to former programmers whose hands no longer work
but know what they need.  we even have a nonprofit to handle funding and
organizational issues.  www.ossri.org   full disclosure: I am a founder
and co-CTO.

> I doubt that Wine will provide any help in running NaturallySpeaking any
> time in the near future. There's some pressure on them from M$ for
> emulating their O/S without licensing. If you look at the progress they
> have made in the past year or so, in comparison to Crossover, for
> instance, they appear to be almost at a halt. It's probably going to be
> a commercial manipulation of Wine that will allow us to run the Windows
> as we need to stick with, not Wine, per se.

that's fine by me.  Again, if we can get the funding and make it
possible for handicappedit possible for speech recognition dependent
users to leave windows behind, then it a win.

> I have had some luck with Crossover in running Win apps not listed as
> approved. One app that if it could run in Crossover would make my life
> bliss is Maximizer. It's not a problem getting the  app to install, but
> in getting the btrieve front-end to speak to the Pervasive SQL database
> back-end using ODBC. <sigh> Oh, well...

with NaturallySpeaking, it's the opposite problem.  We can't get past
the installer.

---eric