Is Linux a desktop operating system?

Greg Donald destiney at gmail.com
Fri May 27 12:55:42 UTC 2005

On 5/27/05, Kreg Schlosser <liberaltugboat at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Second problem hinders the corporate market:
> Accountablity and support. If it breaks, who is going to fix it? This
> is still a major problem for alot of reasons. Tech support from
> distrobutions, internal support, training and certification all need
> more work before linux can really be used as a business desktop.

Lots of distro makers provide paid support for their distro, same with
certification and training.  I personally have experience dealing with
Suse on a support basis, and we never had a software issue they
couldn't solve as far as the OS goes.  Suse and RedHat both have
training and certification programs.  In your experience what exactly
do you see lacking from them?  I mean, did they not teach you
something you needed to know or leave you hanging on a security issue
or something?

I hear about governments and schools switching to Linux all the time.
There's nothing stopping the corporate markets from doing the same.
There is nothing holding the corporate market back but themselves.

--
Greg Donald
Zend Certified Engineer