Hoary xpdf binaries have disappeared

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri May 27 09:41:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 10:29:46AM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> 1. Having symlinks from main to universe means that a mirror of main (or
> main+restricted) is incomplete.  People mirroring with rsync can work
> around the problem with -L but that wastes space.  I don't know of a
> solution for people mirroring with e.g. lftp.  Main should not depend
> upon Universe - particularly for files which are currently in Hoary's
> Packages.gz and required by ubuntu-desktop.
>
> $ lftp ftp.ubuntu.com
> lftp ftp.ubuntu.com:/> ls
> /ubuntu/pool/main/x/xpdf/xpdf_3.00-11ubuntu3_all.deb
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 1000     1000           60 May 24 09:45
> xpdf_3.00-11ubuntu3_all.deb ->
> ../../../../pool/universe/x/xpdf/xpdf_3.00-11ubuntu3_all.deb

Right, but it's a consequence of the way the pools work; when a binary
of the same version in breezy is moved to universe, it moves in the pool
which is shared between hoary and breezy, and one of them has to get a
symlink to fix it up. Changing that would involve some fairly
fundamental modifications to the archive maintenance software.

> 2. For roughly 24 hours there was not even a symlink for xpdf, resulting
> in apt-get failures similarly to those shown below for readahead.
>

> 3. There are still neither regular files nor symlinks for readahead -
> again a package in Hoary's Packages.gz and required by ubuntu-desktop.
> This one has been down over 24 hours now.

Those were both consequences of the person who migrated those forgetting
to run the script that fixes up the symlinks afterwards. James was away
most of yesterday, and I didn't know whether I could safely run the
script in question; I do now. James has fixed both xpdf and readahead.

> 4. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the pool was maintained
> automatically.  As such the problems suggested a pool maintenance
> software bug or a black hat.
>
> If the pool is not maintained automatically than perhaps automatic pool
> maintenance is a worthwhile goal.

There is a high degree of automation in our archive maintenance, but,
like most things, it isn't perfect. main<->universe migration still has
a manual component.

Cheers,