aptitude changelog

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Fri May 27 09:25:31 UTC 2005

On 5/27/05, Thomas Hofer <th at monochrom.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to the aptitude man page the command "aptitude changelog
> packagename" downloads and displays the Debian changelog of the given
> package.
>
> This feature doesn't work with Ubuntu packages (e.g. "E: kdelibs is not
> an official Debian package, cannot display its changelog.")
>
> When I update my system, I'd like to see the changelogs for all packages
> before the installation starts. Is there any way to do that?
>
> I know I could download all packages, extract them and read the
> changelogs; but is there a more convenient way? And is it really
> neccessary to download a 40 MB package, only to read the changelog?

Interesting.  the command line option doesn't work. (confirmed!)

However, there's a couple ways you can view the change logs.

Run aptitude in it's full glory, select the package and hit 'C'
(uppercase!) - it shows the changelog.

If you have the auto-updater running, when you open it you can hit
'details' and it will show the changelog.

You can browse (the ugly way) http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/ (which is
where the above two download from)

~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com