User Account: change name (passwd, shadow, group)

René L. Reingard reingard at hispeed.ch
Fri May 27 06:16:49 UTC 2005

Am Thu, 26 May 2005 11:21:21 -0700 schrieb Bob Nielsen <nielsen at oz.net>:

> On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 20:02 +0200, René L. Reingard wrote:

>> hoho, i do not wanna turn that into a rough slide.
>> i will specify that on you (all) can check it first.
>>
>> lets say the new users name is Max.
>>
>> 1. creating the new user and password
>> 2. rename (or delete) the new users home directory which got created
>> already
>> 3. rename the old users home directory into Max
>> 4. being in an others user Gnome i run the shell
>> 5. i do command: sudo chown Max:Max /home/Max
>
> That should be:  sudo chown -R max.max /home/max, which will change
> files in subdirectories.
>
> You could also edit /etc/password, /etc/shadow and /etc/groups to change
> the name, keeping the UID and GID.  Then you wouldn't need to chown.

Hello
It was so exciting just being able to change a users name (/etc/passwd,
../shadow, ../group), which i never have seen a possibility in Windows. To
easy to be true? I did work the same way as with $ sudo chown - R ..., no
login possible finally. This after long long loading of Metacity and
Panel, and a final empty screen (also right click shows no effect).
Tzzz, ....
Thanks for the help anyway. Sooner or later i hope i will be able to do it!
regards,
René