Netgear WG511 (prism chipset?)

Guy Kellogg gkellogg at 68k.org
Thu May 26 21:16:57 UTC 2005

Ron and Jeff and all wireless savvy:

I am also having a little trouble with the WG511 (not the WG511T). I
checked the wiki before buying it:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCards

I previously had an old linksys WPC11 -- not the versions listed on the
wiki, and it did not work at all; hence, the purchase of a used Netgear
WG511 -- in the box w/ reg cards and a CD.

I am a newbie and spending too much time perhaps in the GUI. Any and all
help appreciated. Here's what happens:

1. First off, I am using a Dell Inspiron 5000, celeron 500 w/ 384 MB
RAM; Hoary (gnome), and so far all works well for me. I am setting it up
for my mom and getting the wireless to work is one of my last tasks (I
was pretty excited to follow wiki instructions and download codecs for
totem).

2. When testing, I switch between a NIC that is connected directly to
the router and the Netgear WG511. Both indicate the device is Eth0.
Sometimes it seems like I need to restart, but I am not sure.

3. Switching like this has caused problems with the NIC, such that I
cannot get online without restarting or taking the card in and out. Is
that "bad" to do? Is there something I can do at the command line instead?

4. The WG511 *is* seeing the ssid, as well as several others (I live in
an apt. bldg.) but does not connect to any. Some of these ssid's have
icons with a human head profile - not sure what that means.

5. I have my linksys router set to "both" WEP and open.

Most of my searching on this topic has pointed to the atheros chipset
but according to the wiki the WG511 has the prism chipset. I do not know
what to make of this information, or what to do with it.

----> Is this enough information to get some advice on how to be up and
running with the wireless? What might I be able to do at the command
prompt that would be more effective than what I am doing in the GUI?

Guy