[Breezy] Reiser4

Ed Cogburn edcogburn at hotpop.com
Thu May 26 13:49:34 UTC 2005

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> I am considering Reiser4 on one of my computers.
>
> Is it stable enough yet?
> Is it supported by the standard kernels or will I need to compile my own?
>
> This will be on an Athlon64 machine if that makes any difference.
> Also, this is with Breezy.

Hi, Jim

R4 is still unstable for some,  Its still breaks for me, I last tried it ~3
months ago and it locked up within 2 minutes after mounting during a large
cp -a operation, and I'm on an AMD64.  ReiserFS (R3) is just fine here
though, FWIW.

As the other poster said though, you'll have bigger problems with the rest
of Breezy as its currently even more unstable than R4 is.  Ok, ok, that's
the polite, PC way of saying its completely *borked* right now.  :)  I've
got nearly all of Breezy on hold in aptitude waiting for things to settle
down.

If you intend to use that other computer within the next 6 months or so as a
production platform (getting real, important work done), I would avoid
using either R4 or Breezy on it, *if* you can.  I can understand the
problem with R4, there is no other Free filesystem quite like it at the
moment which is why every couple of months I try it again to see if it
works for me.  Alas, so far it doesn't.  Would have tried it again already,
but the last 2 releases of Andrew Morton's -mm kernel patches (with R4
included) panic on bootup for me.  That's life on the bleeding edge for
'ya.  Sigh.

Ed