Is Linux a desktop operating system?

Bernhard berndl81 at gmx.at
Wed May 25 22:15:22 UTC 2005

I just want to add one little point to this (very interesting) discussion.

Some weeks ago, I had to set up a dual-boot system with windows and
ubuntu on my sister's acer laptop.

Installing a fresh Windows system on this notebook was infact quite
challenging. Given a Win-Xp CD, I had to manually install drivers for
the graphic-card, lan/wlan, sound, touchpad,.... Not to bad if you're
familar with this stuff, but quite difficult if the standard resolution
before installing the appropriate graphics driver is about 300*something.

On the other hand, a fresh hoary install was (almost) perfect. Graphics,
lan, sound,.. worked out of the box, only wlan gave (gives) me some
problems. Furthermore, I had to resolve the multimedia (mp3) things...

To make a long story short. I think that the average user may be quite
happy with a default hoary install compared to a Win-Xp install. I
really believe that (some) linux-distributions (eg. ubuntu) are easier
to handly for the average pc-user as Win-Xp.

Greetings,
Bernhard