sources.list

Brian Pack darkaudit at gmail.com
Wed May 25 18:32:42 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 02:16 pm, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Hi Sujit,
>
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 20:09, sujit sinha wrote:
> > SuSE has some fixed place from where you can get most of the
> > packages. This feature is absent in Ubuntu. You need to build your own
> > sources.list.
>
> What do you mean? The official repository http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
> is the main place to get everything official for Ubuntu Linux.
>
> Or didn't I catch the point?
>
> \sh

And there is no such fixed point for SuSE. I had to add extra sources to get
updates to GNOME and KDE, not to mention all the 3rd-party sources for
packages that SuSE either wouldn't provide, or wouldn't fix.

The stock sources.list may need a bit of editing to get the Universe or
Multiverse repositories enabled, but that editing consists of uncommenting
two lines, and adding *one word* to the end of each. Do that, and you have
everything Ubuntu has to offer for that particular release. :)

--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/darkaudit/