What's wrong with my cryptoswap? (asking password twice)

Asko Kauppi asko.kauppi at sci.fi
Wed May 25 09:52:29 UTC 2005

I've set up encrypted partitions, and swap according to the HOWTO at:
https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/EncryptedFilesystemHowto?
portal_status_message=Welcome.+You+are+now+logged+in.

This worked long ago fine, but at some stage (Hoary upgrade? not
sure..) started to do redundant password query at login.  While this
is just a nuicance (plain ENTER to the first query will do) I'm
curious as to what causes this.

Console at bootup:

     Starting Ubuntu...
     Enter passphrase: _        <--- this is the where-did-it-come-
from redundant query
         .
         .
         .
     Starting crypto disks: crypt (starting) ...
     Enter passphrase: _

The first query comes right after GRUB menu, does anyone have a clue
what it is, and how to kill it?

-ak

 From /etc/fsstab:

/dev/mapper/crypt       /crypt  ext3    defaults 0 1
/dev/mapper/cryptoswap  none    swap    sw 0 0

/etc/crypttab:
#
crypt           /dev/hda5
cryptoswap      /dev/hda6       /dev/urandom    swap