Is Linux a desktop operating system?

Keith Powell keith at keithg4jvx.force9.co.uk
Tue May 24 09:16:01 UTC 2005

On Monday 23 May 2005 23:08, Tony Arnold wrote:
> I was amused, and slightly irritated by a comment made on a programme on
> the BBC this evening.
>
> The bit that irritated me was:
>
> "I believe that it still isn't time to call Linux a 'desktop' operating
> system. It simply isn't as usable for everyone as Windows and OS X are.
>
> "It will be soon, but, for the time being at least, Click Online doesn't
> think it is."

Tony,

Have you ever watched "Working Lunch" on BBC2?

Not so long ago, their Consumer Affairs Correspondant said that 'Linux was
only for experts. It was far too advanced for her to use'. She has a
university degree!

Whenever they have a computing item, they always seem to interview some
computing "expert" who thinks that there is only one operating system and we
all use it, together with MS Office, IE, and so on. He will say that as we
will "all" get the latest virus on "all" our computers, here is what we must
"all" do about. And what wonderful things MS are doing to overcome it. Never
a mention of Linux in a constructive way.

Their praising MS and thinking we all use it, makes me sick!!

Don't know if ITV is the same.

Cheers

Keith