Is Linux a desktop operating system?

Robert L Parker bposs at dodo.com.au
Tue May 24 02:17:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 23:08 +0100, Tony Arnold wrote:
> I was amused, and slightly irritated by a comment made on a programme on
> the BBC this evening. A transcript of the piece can be found at
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/4565581.stm
>
> The bit that irritated me was:
>
> "I believe that it still isn't time to call Linux a 'desktop' operating
> system. It simply isn't as usable for everyone as Windows and OS X are.

10 years from now some idiot will state that Linux is not a desktop
operating system because Bill Gates doesn't feel compelled to use it.

Usually these folk base their comments on the fact that Linux won't run
every possible application that runs on Windows. Neither does the Mac
but no one claims that it is not a desktop machine because of that fact.

Personally, Linux has been an adequate desktop os since the days of
Mandrake 8 for my modest desktop needs.

So the real question is it a suitable desktop os for whom?

Bob Parker