ATI Radeon 9200 dilemma :(

Karl kaha at colug.org
Fri May 20 23:37:46 UTC 2005

Sorry to bug you all, but this has been driving me nuts for some time.
It concerns watching videos and playing games.
When I use the Free drivers ("ati") in xorg, Everything is good. Except
that games (Tuxracer, Unreal Tournament and Neverwinter Nights) tend to
lock up on me at random points (sometimes earlier, sometimes later).
They lock up hard; and accept no more input from either mouse or
keyboard. Audio continues.

When I switch to the non-free drivers (fglrx), game performance is
sweet. But when I try to watch a video, I have no XV support. Example
(using the fglrx drivers):

kaha at wombat:~ $ xvinfo
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
no adaptors present

kaha at wombat:~ $ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9200 DDR Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.4769 (X4.3.0-8.8.25)

So I have to use software rendering (x11), which is terrible.

Does anybody have a clue how I can play my games AND watch my films?

--
         .       .        Avoid the Gates of Hell...
                         Free Software for Free Minds