Two things missing from Ubuntu - Backup and Firewall - can we havethem in Horay

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Fri May 20 23:03:17 UTC 2005

> I think Mondo is a bit too complex for your average non-techie user.

can DAR creates bootable backups?  That's the strength of Mondo and
why I'm using it on a semi-regular basis:  once you have it
configured, and your backups are saved  to a  CD (or in my case 5 to 6
CD-RW) and you need to restore, you just insert the first backup CD in
your CD drive, reboot the machine, and you can restore your whole
system since mondo's backup CDs are bootable.  The bootable option is
quite useful if you have to rebuild a whole hard drive from scratch.

But to get there, you have to figure out the right mix of command line
option that works for you; and that I agree isn't the most user
friendly thing.

I also have a problem with mondo to do backups directly to a CD-RWs in
Hoary.  Right now I have to save my backups to iso files while running
mondoarchive, and then use Nautilus to manually create the CDs from
these isos. It didn't do that in Warty, nor Fedora; I'm not sure what
the problem is.