freezing problems

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri May 20 12:27:51 UTC 2005

lee_connell wrote:
> I am using centrino, 512mb, ati mobility 9200 laptop.
>
> The freeze did it when i was using firefox, when i was navigating the
> gnome menu, while a screensaver was on, while i was watching a dvd.
>
> I am always logged into gnome.
>
> My system just locks up and my harddrive light stays solid no activity
> and i can't use the keyboard or the mouse.  Have to shutdown cold.

OK: sounds a bit like what I experienced. So can you answer the
questions I asked Paulo:

> Which driver are you using?
>
> If you don't know how to tell, can you open a terminal, type in
> grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> and post the results?

and try what I suggested in
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2005-May/034583.html

I've got my machine stable, so I'm sure we can get yours stable, unless
you've got hardware that's slightly broken.

Thanks,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | The rats knew that if they didn't keep the moon nailed
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | down, somebody was bound to make off with it.