Defrag Software

Santiago Erquicia santiago.erquicia at gmail.com
Fri May 20 06:56:36 UTC 2005

On 5/20/05, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > which Defrag Software do we use in Linux? i just understood, that since
> > installing Ubuntu on the machine (5 month ago) i did not have done
> > anything regarding checking the harddisk on this.
> >
> > thanks for suggestions and elaborating on that,
>
> When I switched to Linuw 12 month ago, this was my first question !
> I was told that there were no software to defrag in Linux, and that the
> file system was inherently much less prone to fragmentation in the first
> place.
> Basically, I was told not to worry about it.
>
> Then again, that was 12 month ago, and Linux is moving so fast,
> things/opinions might have changed in the meantime ??
>

>From what I understood some time ago (hmmm it doesn't sound that good
that) is that the way linux file systems work make them not fragment.
Instead of writting everything at the very first place if finds, they
try to keep things together.  Windows file system, on the other hand,
places everything in the first place it finds.  This makes a file that
should be contiguous on disk, be fragmented in different places.

Maybe I'm talking nonsense here but I have been using linux for quite
a few years now and I had never defragmented my disks.