Right kernel for centrino?

Joe Wamsley jw at netrattler.net
Fri May 20 02:40:46 UTC 2005

Carsten Agger wrote:
> Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
>
>> On do, 2005-05-19 at 13:11 -0500, Santiago Erquicia wrote:
>>

>>> Which of the kernels is the right or optimum one for a centrino
>>> laptop? i386 or i686?
>>>

>> i686
>>

> What's the difference between the two architectures (i386 and
> i686)?
>
> I'm asking because I have Ubuntu running on my Centrino laptop with the
> i386 kernel - do I have to reinstall it completely or would it be
> possible to "upgrade" only the kernel?
>
> regards and TIA,
>
> Carsten Agger
>
> PS: I'm sorry, but this mail may  be in HTML format. I'm using
> Thunderbird for Linux and I've yet to  find out how to instruct
> this program to not send in HTML format, ever ...
>
> --
> http://www.modspil.dk
> - fordi tiden kræver et MODSPIL!

I would upgrade to the i686 kernel. Basically the difference between the
2 architectures is the i386 is optimized for older Pentium processors
and the i686 for the newer processors that are currently out there. No
you don't have to reinstall the whole thing, you can just upgrade the
kernel. Not sure if your running any special modules or not so here are
the instructions on how to do it. Just open up a terminal and type this

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-2.6.10-5-686

This will also grab the kernel that you will need, then just reboot your
computer and you will be running the new kernel that you installed.
These instructions are for Hoary though, you didn't say if you were
running Warty or Hoary. But it would basically be the same thing for
Warty you might have to use synaptic to find out what the latest kernel
is for it.
But for your Thunderbird problem all you have to do is click on Edit ->
Account Settings -> Composition & Addressing -> than uncheck Compose
messages in HTML format. This way it will send everything in plain text.
Hope this helps you out and if you have other questions take a look at
the Ubuntuguide a lot of good information can be found here.

Warty UbuntuGuide:
http://ubuntuguide.org/4.10/index.html

Hoary UbuntuGuide:
http://ubuntuguide.org/