Slow Fluxbox, (Hoary)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu May 19 02:12:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005 04:10:23 -0400
Lee McLain <lee.mclain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>      I am fairly new to Ubuntu, but not Linux.  I have install Hoary
> on my new Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop and for the most part, the
> installation was flawless!  It handled my screen and the internal
> wireless configuration without any changes on my part!
>     One thing that I am having a problem with is Fluxbox window
> manager.  I have downloaded the latest version, 0.9.13 and have
> compiled it successfully.  I even installed the Artwiz fonts, and
> after a bunch of twiddling, finally go those working.  The only
> problem is that when I login, the Fluxbox startup takes WAYYYYY too
> long.

I am seeing the same thing, both with the Hoary version from apt ( 0.9.11) and with my own compiled version of 0.9.12.

I have Fluxbox installed on other machines and the typical
> startup time is about 2-3 seconds.  Right now, it's taking upwards of
> 30 seconds.  The same is true if I issue the command to restart
> Fluxbox.

Not only the command to restart: changing themes also takes forever and uses 99% CPU, whereas typically this is instantaneous, or very nearly so.

There also seems to be some trouble with the drawing of taskbars etc. I wonder if this is in some way an xorg issue? Perhaps Fluxbox doesn't play nice with Xorg ? I don't know, but it's rather disappointing as Flux is my favourite window manager.

On the up side, this issue has resulted in my installing Xfce4-2, with which I'm quite impressed...

>    I have seen mention of issuing the command 'export LC_ALL=C' in the
> gdm startup script and tried that, but the results are the same.
>    Does anyone have an idea as to why Fluxbox is taking so long to
> start under Ubuntu?

I would be interested to hear too; perhaps the Fluxbox maintainer reads this list?