ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 9, Issue 227

Lee McLain lee.mclain at gmail.com
Wed May 18 08:10:23 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,
     I am fairly new to Ubuntu, but not Linux.  I have install Hoary
on my new Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop and for the most part, the
installation was flawless!  It handled my screen and the internal
wireless configuration without any changes on my part!
    One thing that I am having a problem with is Fluxbox window
manager.  I have downloaded the latest version, 0.9.13 and have
compiled it successfully.  I even installed the Artwiz fonts, and
after a bunch of twiddling, finally go those working.  The only
problem is that when I login, the Fluxbox startup takes WAYYYYY too
long.  I have Fluxbox installed on other machines and the typical
startup time is about 2-3 seconds.  Right now, it's taking upwards of
30 seconds.  The same is true if I issue the command to restart
Fluxbox.
   I have seen mention of issuing the command 'export LC_ALL=C' in the
gdm startup script and tried that, but the results are the same.
   Does anyone have an idea as to why Fluxbox is taking so long to
start under Ubuntu?

Thanks,
Lee