the power of being root

Stephen Ryan taketwoaspirin at gmail.com
Thu May 19 01:58:05 UTC 2005

On 5/16/05, sn00bb0rn.linux gmail <sn00bb0rn.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am a newbie. I play with linux CLI now (using chmod and chown).
> It seems to me that if I am using su -as root- I can use all directories
> and files that I -by my own setting- not allowed. For instance I have
> set chown 700 to some files and folder as a normal user. I think it will
> prevent anyone else using it (even root). But when as root I can still
> read the content of thet file.
> My question is, is that a normal in *nix world ? I imagine how powerfull
> an computer administrator of a company will be. He can read *all
> sensitive data* that beyond his level. Please tell me, and point me
> where my understanding of this matter that was wrong. Sorry for the
> unproper English.

No, you understand correctly.  The root account is all-powerful on
*nix systems, by design.  This is actually true of pretty much every
system, in that whatever account is responsible for assigning
passwords and/or permissions to other users effectively has complete
control over the machine, whether that is made explicit or not.