the power of being root

sn00bb0rn.linux gmail sn00bb0rn.linux at gmail.com
Mon May 16 19:28:53 UTC 2005

Dear all,

I am a newbie. I play with linux CLI now (using chmod and chown).
It seems to me that if I am using su -as root- I can use all directories
and files that I -by my own setting- not allowed. For instance I have
set chown 700 to some files and folder as a normal user. I think it will
prevent anyone else using it (even root). But when as root I can still
read the content of thet file.
My question is, is that a normal in *nix world ? I imagine how powerfull
an computer administrator of a company will be. He can read *all
sensitive data* that beyond his level. Please tell me, and point me
where my understanding of this matter that was wrong. Sorry for the
unproper English.

Thank you very much in advance.