The gap to a successful corporate desktop system.

Holger Rumland hrumland at telusplanet.net
Wed May 18 01:32:25 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,
I saw an interesting article I like to share with. I hope that Ubuntu
can drive the desktop deployments one day, but it needs like the
other distributions to speed up on essentials. Fixing for instance the
multimedia through command hacking, despite the great community around
Ubuntu which finds always a solution, is for an End User Desktop system
a no no. It need to work out of the box! This is not always the fault of
the Ubuntu developers, rather then a thing of Gnome for instance, or
historical problems like (Alsa/OSS/Esd). Is there really a need for 3
standards to accomplish one goal (sound)? Also drag and drop which is so
far not consistent, like Gimp and Inkscape use their own clipboards for
copying in Gnome is so far not good. Some functionality for a corporate
desktop is also missing but its getting closer, as for instance
importing MS Project files (planner) or MS Visio. The integration of a
reporting tool a la Crystal Reports would also help .....
Anyway, make up your own mind.

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=1010000239XL

cheers

Holger