The gap to a successful corporate desktop system.

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed May 18 07:17:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 07:32:25PM -0600, Holger Rumland wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>I saw an interesting article I like to share with. I hope that Ubuntu
>can drive the desktop deployments one day, but it needs like the other
>distributions to speed up on essentials. Fixing for instance the
>multimedia through command hacking, despite the great community around
>Ubuntu which finds always a solution, is for an End User Desktop system
>a no no. It need to work out of the box! This is not always the fault
>of the Ubuntu developers, rather then a thing of Gnome for instance, or
>historical problems like (Alsa/OSS/Esd). Is there really a need for 3
>standards to accomplish one goal (sound)? Also drag and drop which is
>so far not consistent, like Gimp and Inkscape use their own clipboards
>for copying in Gnome is so far not good. Some functionality for a
>corporate desktop is also missing but its getting closer, as for
>instance importing MS Project files (planner) or MS Visio. The
>integration of a reporting tool a la Crystal Reports would also help
>Anyway, make up your own mind.
>
>http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=1010000239XL

Random thoughts after having read the article:

- Please, if only the world could be saved from analysts! I wonder how
  long they'll be paid for repeating themselves...

- I like RedHat's take on it, "Linux itself has been ready for the
  desktop for years. It's just been waiting for the market to catch up."

- Why this obsession with corporate desktops? If we just get the average
  users interested in running Linux at home it'll end up on the
  corporate desks sooner or later anyway.

- What operating system IS ready for the corporate desktop? (Personally
  I have to do more tinkering with Windows to use it at work than I have
  to with my Linux boxen.)

- What corporations are we talking about anyway? I think Linux is ready
  for use in corporations except for the smallest ones. Why? Simple, no
  user has to actually install their own PC, it's all handled centrally.
  Get one "master copy" and then start replicating. That's how they
  handle "localisations" of Windows as well, why would Linux be any
  different?

That's my 2p.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Finagle's First Law:
To study a subject best, understand it thoroughly before you start.