HowTo: apply a "patch" ?!

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue May 17 22:25:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 08:10:18AM +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>> You are corrct about the patch program. Read the man page so you
>> understand the -p command line argument, you'll probably need it.
>
>Tried the patch command, seems to react okay, but the little bugger
>won't work, apparently the patch I saw in bugzilla, has been made one
>month before Haory stable was released, and apparently, the source code
>has been changed since, so patch can apply the patch. I tried modyfying
>the source file by had, but I really don't know what I am doing so I
>will leave it there.

Reading diff-files isn't too difficult. I've had to do it myself a few
times and haven't had any problems with it.

You might also want to take a look at the program called wiggle. It's a
little more accepting with patches that don't totally fit.

>I have a few other things to patch though, like the kernel to get my TV
>card working, and Nautilus browser, to get it to hide the main toolbar.
>So now I have the very very very basics of patching, I could maybe have
>a go at these...

Let us know if you run into any more problems.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.