Centrino wireless with additional ethernet adapter

Raghu Vemuri raghu.vemuri at gmail.com
Tue May 17 16:39:43 UTC 2005

Jeff Elkins wrote:

>When booting with wireless active and no eth0 connection, the system hangs at
>boot with 'establishing network connection.'  It's interupptable with ctrl-c,
>but after boot I hace to do a /etc/init.d/networking restart to enable
>loopback.

eth0 is brought up the hotplug system.  I have commented out the
"hotplug" mapping for eth0 on my /etc/network/interfaces file and now
eth0 is not enabled at boot time.

>Additionally, I'm starting the wireless with:
>
>iwconfig eth1 key MYHEXPASS
>dhclient eth1
>
>in an init.script.
>
>Any suggestions on cleaning this up?

you can setup eth1 in your /etc/network/interfaces file with these lines

iface eth1 inet dhcp
    wireless-essid any
    wireless-key MYHEXPASS

then you use the following command to bring up eth1

ifup eth1

If you want to automatically have eth1 enabled during boot then having
this line in the /etc/network/interfaces file should do it.
    auto eth1

>Thanks,
>
>Jeff Elkins

HTH.