Centrino wireless with additional ethernet adapter

Jeff Elkins jeffelkins at earthlink.net
Tue May 17 14:40:00 UTC 2005

Howdy,

I just finished setting up Ubuntu (KDE) on a Centrino-equipped Dell laptop
that also includes a wired ETH0 port. The setup works, but not very
gracefully.

When booting with wireless active and no eth0 connection, the system hangs at
boot with 'establishing network connection.'  It's interupptable with ctrl-c,
but after boot I hace to do a /etc/init.d/networking restart to enable
loopback.

Additionally, I'm starting the wireless with:

iwconfig eth1 key MYHEXPASS
dhclient eth1

in an init.script.

Any suggestions on cleaning this up?