A Plea for sanity when posting to this list.

Mike Procario procario at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:32:56 UTC 2005

On 5/17/05, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 09:26:54PM -0700, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> >> I think that's a bandwidth thingy. If you read a huge list by gmane
> >> you can check the headers first, before downloading the entire
> >> message. That way you can cope a few hundreds of posts per day with
> >> downloading only a hand full of messages.
> >>
> >> Which linux MUA can handle "header download only"?
> >>

> >an imap e-mail account should allow you to do that. And most MUA
> >supports imap nowadays.
>
> To the original poster mostly:
>
> Then of course you should really think through what you are doing here.
> you are trading downlading a few hundred _text_ messages for downloading
> a few HTML pages and being online while reading your lists. I'm on a
> dial-up connection at the time (fucking BT!) and personally I'd rather
> put my computer to download my mail than live with a web interface.
> Downloading 200-500 messages a day on different lists takes about 2-3
> minutes and I can read and respond off line, taking all the time I need
> to think through my comments. Using a web interface to mail forces me to
> be online longer, and it's slower to read.
>
> /M
>
> --
> Magnus Therning (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
> magnus at therning.org
> http://magnus.therning.org/
>
> Software is not manufactured, it is something you write and publish.
> Keep Europe free from software patents, we do not want censorship
> by patent law on written works.
>
> Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual
> way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of
> complaining.
> -- Jef Raskin

I decided to try gmane to see if it was useful and maybe understand what the
issue was. I used Thunberbird subscribe to gmane.linux.ubuntu.user. It
worked quite well and Thunderbird had no trouble handling the attachments.
They were listed at the bottom of the page. A better newsreader is
probabably the answer to the problem.

--
Mike

"Another casualty of applied metaphysics" --Hobbes