A Plea for sanity when posting to this list.

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue May 17 05:10:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 09:26:54PM -0700, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
>> I think that's a bandwidth thingy. If you read a huge list by gmane
>> you can check the headers first, before downloading the entire
>> message.  That way you can cope a few hundreds of  posts per day with
>> downloading only a hand full of messages.
>>
>> Which linux MUA can handle "header download only"?
>>

>an imap e-mail account should allow you to do that.  And most MUA
>supports imap nowadays.

To the original poster mostly:

Then of course you should really think through what you are doing here.
you are trading downlading a few hundred _text_ messages for downloading
a few HTML pages and being online while reading your lists. I'm on a
dial-up connection at the time (fucking BT!) and personally I'd rather
put my computer to download my mail than live with a web interface.
Downloading 200-500 messages a day on different lists takes about 2-3
minutes and I can read and respond off line, taking all the time I need
to think through my comments. Using a web interface to mail forces me to
be online longer, and it's slower to read.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual
way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of
complaining.
     -- Jef Raskin