HowTo: apply a "patch" ?!

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue May 17 05:34:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 21:47 -0700, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> > Okay, I made some progress. Seems that the "patch" is intended to be
> > used by the "patch" command, which will be in charge of updating the C
> > source file. Problem... I searched Synaptic for "roller". I found the
> > file-roller program, but not the the source code ! :o(
> > I do have the "source" repositories enabled, but still can't find it.
>
> apt-get source packagename

Thanks Daniel, that worked. Well at least it downloaded the source.

Apparently it put the source file in my home directory.
I move to the required directory, where the file to patch resided.
I saved the patch code from bugzilla into a text file that I called
"fix". Then as per the instruction in the web page you pointed me too, I
tried my chance with : "sudo patch <fix"
but apparently it failed.... here is the result :-/

 vincent at Lotus-Esprit:~/file-roller-2.10.1/nautilus $ sudo patch -p0
<fix
patching file nautilus-fileroller.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 80.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 89.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 102.
nautilus-fileroller.c.rej
vincent at Lotus-Esprit:~/file-roller-2.10.1/nautilus $

If I understand well, it means that patch couldn't find anywhere in the
source file a place to put the patch. Like either the patch is bad, or
that it was done with a different source file, maybe not from a default
Hoary install ?

Could you try applying the patch to see if you can get patch to work ?
Or anyone else that feels like helping me... it should take only 2
minutes...

Regards,

--
Vince