Considering use Ubuntu instead of Knoppix

jamesxuruo jamesxuruo at 163.com
Tue May 17 04:36:22 UTC 2005

Jochen Skulj wrote:

>Hello,
>

>>Hello, i am using an old knoppix distribtion, its kernel is 2.4.26.
>>Because i have to make this distribtion support for more hareware
>>such as kinds of sound, video card. On the other hand, one of my
>>friend had did a lot remaster work on this distribiton. It seems
>>difficult for updating kernel 2.4.** to 2.4.6 in old knoppix
>>distribtion. So, anyone can give me some advice? Is it easy for
>>Ubuntu(Kbuntu) to update its kernel and how well hardware support
>>for Ubuntu(Kbuntu)? thx very much!!
>>

>Do you boot Knoppix from CD or do you use a hard disk installation? If
>your Linux is installed on a hard disk it's no problem at all to
>exchange the kernel. You can either download a new kernel from the
>Debian repositories by using apt-get or you can build a custom kernel
>from the vanilla sources.

I am using LiveCD Knoppix now.

>If you don't have a hard disk installation it's always very difficult
>to change the kernel on a Live CD. In fact, that would require
>remastering the CD and building your own CD. But if the kernel version
>is the only problem you should just consider using a newer version of
>Knoppix.

Do you mean it is difficult for changing any liveCD's kernel or just
Knoppix?
Actually, because one of my friend had done a lot work on an old
distribtion of knoppix, but that knoppix couldn't
support much hardware(Linux 2.4.26), so i want to change a new kernel
and have a try.

>In general the hardware support of Ubuntu/Kubuntu is very good but, of
>course, the question if Ubuntu fits your requirements depends on the
>hardware you use. If installed on a hard disk it's no problem to use
>another kernel, but I wouldn't recommend this. One advantage of Ubuntu
>is the security support and therefore it's always better to use the
>default packages - in this case the default kernel - to make sure that
>it will replaced by a fixed version if needed.

The best way for me is using the same distribtion of Knoppix my friend
had remastered. But on the other hand, it
can not support much hardware, and now, i check the new version of
knoppix, It seems knoppix had changed a lot from kernel 2.4 to 2.6
I don't know how to do now :-(
I am really doublt when kernel changed, i should do all the work again.