FTP Server

albi at scii.nl albi at scii.nl
Sun May 15 18:31:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, 15 May 2005 14:06:36 -0400
Matt Galvin <matt.t.galvin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I use "vsftpd". It is very easy to setup and use. Simply do the
> > following:

i also like vsftpd best because of it's focus on security and relative
ease of setup and usage

> > ~$ sudo apt-get install vsftpd
> >
> > when that is done
> >
> > ~$ sudo gedit /etc/vsftpd.conf
> >
> > and uncomment the line that reads
> >
> > #local_enable=YES
> >
> > so that it reads
> >
> > local_enable=YES
> >
> > then run this command to restart the ftp server so that it sees the
> > configuration file change
> >
> > ~$ sudo /etc/init.d/vsftpd restart

i recommend looking at the config-file and set some more restrictions on
usage, it's also a good idea to make sure that your ftp-users don't have
a shell or a very restricted one, as ftp by default means plain-text
usernames and passwords over the network (internet or LAN)

http://vsftpd.beasts.org/vsftpd_conf.html

> Alternatively, if you want something even more secure use sftp which
> is part of ssh:
>
> ~$ sudo apt-get install openssh-server
> ~$ sftp yourusername at localhost
>
> No other configuration is needed here.

correct, although i prefer to use the AllowUsers option in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config and restrict access for possible users